Updated: Mar 15, 2020
The physicians and staff of Bethesda Pediatrics are working to keep our families informed and guide you through the novel coronavirus pandemic known as COVID-19.
First and foremost, we are open for business and are here to help. Additionally, we are implementing changes to our office operations in an effort to contain the spread of the virus and keep you well.
BETHESDA PEDIATRICS OFFICE PROTOCOLS:
Our goal, like yours, is to limit the spread of the virus to our patients and families while still ensuring access to medical care for those in need – whether for acute illness or routine care such as check ups and vaccines.
We are IMMEDIATELY SUSPENDING ALL WALK-IN SICK VISITS! Those needing care for illness need to be appropriately triaged (screened) to limit unintentional exposure to and spread of Coronavirus disease.
If your child is ill, please:
1. Stay home if possible. We will do our best to provide guidance over the phone for how to treat most common illnesses. We have always had an early morning direct phone line to the physicians, and we will be expanding this service so you’ll have increased access to and opportunity for phone advice.
2. Make an appointment to be seen only after speaking with a physician or nurse. We anticipate visits for fevers, flu-like illnesses and sore throats, but we hope to minimize office visits for common colds, rashes, diarrhea, and other things we can help you manage at home. We also respectfully ask that you not use the convenient time off from school to address longer standing and chronic issues that have not acutely changed.
3. Understand our protocols for infection control. Follow posted signs for the proper entrance into the office based on reason for visit. DO NOT walk around public spaces such as the waiting rooms and hallways unless you need the bathroom. Bring your own toys and books as we have removed all of ours from common areas.
If you child is due for a check up or vaccines:
• We will continue to be available for these needs, but will also understand if you would rather reschedule for a later time.
• Please expect modifications to our schedule! We hope to batch well visits at non-peak times of the day. Please be flexible where you can.
Should you come to our office please understand that:
• Like you, we have limited access to personal protective equipment like N95 masks and gloves
• We currently CANNOT test for Coronavirus yet as access to test kits and personal protective equipment required for testing is also limited. We hope this will change soon!
• We are disinfecting the office regularly to limit spread of illness
How to protect yourself and your family:
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds, or use hand sanitizer with a 60% or higher alcohol base when unable to wash with soap and water
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick just as you would during cold and flu season
• Stay home from work and self quarantine if you are feeling sick
• Cough and sneeze into tissues or your elbow
• Clean and disinfect household surfaces regularly
• Avoid unnecessary travel and social engagements
• Avoid crowded indoor and outdoor activity places like gyms and public parks
• Do not utilize vital medical supplies such as facemasks and gloves if you are asymptomatic and healthy!
While the kids are home from school:
• Enjoy the unexpected family time!
• Read together and play games
• Remain active while being aware of social distancing
• Limit screen time!
• Provide reassurance that we are doing everything we can to keep everyone safe and healthy
• Stay informed, and quite importantly, don’t panic!
Please call our office at (301) 299-8930 with any other questions or concerns